- This event has passed.
PLAN Tech Day
March 10, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pmFree
Keynote: Ben Bizzle — It’s All About the Story
From programming to purchasing, from the website to the reference desk, every library, in every action, is telling a story to its community. What story is your library telling? Join library advocate, marketer, author, and entrepreneur Ben Bizzle as he discusses the stories libraries tell, how we tell those stories, and ways to enhance the stories we are telling to our communities.
Ben Bizzle is founder and CEO of the marketing and web development firm, Library Market. He’s a 2013 Library Journal Mover & Shaker and John Cotton Dana Award winner, author of the book, Start a Revolution: Stop Acting Like a Library, and for over 7 years, he has served as the director of technology and head of the creative team at Craighead County Jonesboro Public Library in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
Breakout Session 1:
- Hour of Code with Rhythmic Coders: The Hour of Code is a global movement reaching over 100 million students in over 180 countries. Anyone, anywhere can organize an Hour of Code event. No experience needed by students or teachers, and they can choose from a variety of activities for kindergarten and up. Activities work on any modern browser, tablet, smartphone, or even with no computer at all! Learn how you can offer your own Hour of Code program in your library!
- Introduction to WordPress with Sean Brosnan: Get an introduction to WordPress, the popular content management system (CMS) used for millions of websites around the world. Learn what is great and not-so-great about WordPress, and see how simple it is to create a simple website. Even if you don’t want to create your own website with WordPress, learn how you can hire a web designer to create a WordPress website but update content easily in-house.
Breakout Session 2:
- Expanding Your Reach on Social Media with Sean Brosnan: Social media is far from a “if you build it, they will come” kind of process. You have to work to get results. That doesn’t mean you can’t work smarter. This presentation will give you the tips and tricks to expanding your social reach and building your brand on social media.
- Putting the Reality in Virtual Reality with James Betsill: It’s new; it’s sexy. You want it. You know your patrons want it, too. But what is the reality of researching, planning, and implementing a new technology such as Virtual Reality? Here’s a road map for your journey with useful tips and a checklist to a successful project. You’ll learn about Virtual Reality, how libraries use it, and how the Mary Esther Library will introduce their PLAN grant-funded new VR gaming system.
Tech Petting Zoo:
Some items at the Tech Petting Zoo will include:
- Oculus Rift + Touch (live demonstrations!)
- Playstation VR
- Egg Bot
- 3D printer
- Kindle Fire
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Amazon Echo and Dot
- Microsoft Surface Tablet
- Google Cardboard VR
- Snap Circuits
- Sphero Ball
- And more!